The Express Entry system has been created to process the permanent residence applications to Canada from people that qualify under the 3 most popular economic programs to migrate to Canada:
In the past, Citizenship and Immigration Canada used to issue ministerial instructions on how many applications would be processed annually for each of these programs; and it was enough to comply with the points requirement and make the application on time for the request to be processed. This resulted in those programs closing almost as soon as they were open and many potential candidates all over the worlds had no chance to apply, even if they had higher qualifications that those who had their application for permanent residency already in process.
To avoid this situation, the federal government proposed a processing system in which they could be able to choose the best candidates for each program through out the whole year and not taking in consideration the date of the application.
The first step is to qualify in one of the 3 programs mentioned above. The second step, before sending the request is to apply through the Express Entry system.
From my point of view it is not necessary as a first filter to qualify in a program that no longer exists as such, because the evaluation system of Express Entry filters again before creating the applicant’s profile.
Despite my opinion, this is how the program currently works and here is a description of the main points:
- It is a ranking system from 0 to 1200 points
- 600 points correspond the job offer through an LMIA or a Provincial Nomination
- The person that do not have a job offer can get a maximum of 600 points.
According with their own profile and the points obtained, the system automatically will select the candidates with the higher points to be invited to apply for permanent residency. The government has promised that the selected candidates will receive the permanent residency in a period of 6 months.
If you create your profile in the Express Entry your name will be posted in a candidate’s database or candidate’s pool.
- You will remain in that data base for one year, since the date your profile was accepted.
- You will receive a personal preferential code to register in an employment search engine.
- If you do not have a job offer under a provincial or federal nomination program, you must register in that search engine in order to become available in the data base.
- You would receive your point evaluation result according with the information you gave in your profile.
- The candidates would classify using an integral classification that has as a base the factors known to help immigrants to establish in Canada.
- Regular draws will occur to invite the best candidates to apply for permanent residence.
- You must have an invitation from CIC to apply online for the permanent residency.
- You may be invite to apply, if you are among the best qualified candidates from the data base for your experience and skills.
- If you are on the list of the people that will receive an invitation to apply for permanent residency, you will receive a message in your account and to your email account, be sure that you provide a valid account.
- Make sure all the information provided in your profile is true and precise at all times.
- If your situation changes (for example if you are starting a new degree, take an exam for another language, marries or had a chid), you must update your profile.
- If your profile is on the database for a year and you do not receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence, you must complete and present a new profile.
- You must update and validate the information and if you still comply with the minimum entry criteria, you will receive again a preferential personal code.
If you are invited to apply, you will have 60 days to complete and present your application. Some documents (for example the criminal record clearance letter) can take more than 60 days. You must apply for this document immediately, so you have them ready to apply within those 60 day limit.
There are a couple of things you can do to have a better score and to increase your chances to be selected from the database. For example:
- Secure a job offer using:
- A job search engine or
- Promoting yourself among Canada employers using private search engines.
- Contacting provinces and territories in order to be consider to a Provincial nominee program
- Get a higher score in your language test
- Increase your level of education or
- Acquiring an important job skill
If you are invited to apply, you are responsible that all the information mentioned in your profile matches the information provided in your permanent residence application.
If there is misrepresentation (you gave false information or did not include important details) your request is going to be rejected. In that case:
- Your application may be rejected
- You can be declared as inadmissible and
- You can be excluded 5 years to apply for permanent residency.
The electronic system used to create the Express Entry profile is easy to manage, but it is necessary that you know how to answer avoiding any confusion in you profile. At GlobalAG we can assist you with creating your profile, process and manage it through our electronic systems that connect directly with the Immigration offices all around the world. It is our interest that your profile is among the select ones, so you can start with your permanent residency process and it would be an honour to represent you.
To calculate your point grading Express Entry system, you can use the following table: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp